This is what it looks like when the conductor of a train makes the jump to lightspeed. That, or photographer Aaron Durand is doing something very clever with long exposures and lingering lights and doesn't care whose heart he breaks.
Using a tripod-mounted camera and a lot of patience, Durand was able to get a unique view of trains, looking only for the light they leave. Our favorite is up top, but you can see more of his excellent work in the gallery below.
Warp-speed trains? Laser cannons sounding off? Troupes of fairies trained to fly in straight lines? You decide.
More Amazing Photography
- 54 trippy long exposure photos that'll mesmerize you
- 20 spectacular images from National Geographic's photo contest
- 20 'Stormtrooper portraits' by photographer Kristina Alexanderson
- 20 awesome animated photos that are more lifelike than 3D
- 14 beautifully unsettling space program pictures
- The insane floating theatrical stages of Austria's Bregenz Festival
- 20 self portraits of Tokyo's 'Levitating Girl' Natsumi Hayashi
- 12 gorgeous views of Earth from the International Space Station