Blogger Chris "MacGyver" Glass isn't bothered all that much by mice. What does irk him, though, is when the little guys disrupt a pizza dinner by scaling a chair and exploring the inside of his shirt sleeve. That's the kind of surprise that would have most people reaching for a brown bag and hammer, but Glass had a better, non-lethal idea. It starts with a toilet paper tube:
Here's how I caught the critter:
1. Get a toilet paper tube and crease two lines to form a flat sided tunnel.
2. Put a treat on one end of the tube: A cracker and dab of peanut butter works great.
3. Get a tall (at least 20 inches) bucket. A trash can works well.
4. Balance the tube precariously on the edge of a table or counter with the treat hanging directly over the tall sided receptacle.
5. The mouse will scurry to the treat (they like tunnels) and fall into the trap.
Set the fella loose at least a mile away from your abode.
Postnote: It worked within the hour.
Voilà! One mouse released back into the wild. He even has a solution for folks who don't have suitable counters:
Also, folks have asked how this could work if you don't have a counter or table. Simple: get a piece of cardboard and crease it to make a ramp up to a small trashcan.